A Steel Custom Tandem Bicycle that's Lighter than its Carbon Fiber Competition?
These have been really hot in 2016!
Rodriguez Ultra-light tandems offer many advantages over other brands:
- A Rodriguez rides like steel because it is steel
- Rodriguez Tandems are built custom to fit both riders at no extra charge
- We don't skimp or use tricky weight saving techniques like leaving out the Stiffener Tube
- Rodriguez Tandems are built to last forever without the use of non-standard parts
- A fork that's not only tandem rated, but handles better than any carbon fork on the market
- An adjustable stoker to dial in your stoker's fit, then a super-light steel or titanium fixed position stem to shave another pound or two
- A lifetime frame and fork warranty (most carbon frames have very limited warranties)
For almost a decade now, we here at Rodriguez have been known for building some of the lightest tandem bikes
on the road. One surprising thing about these bicycles built for two is that they are made of good ol' American steel! Well actually, they are made of the New American Steel
. In 2007 we introduced our 25.8 pound Ultra-light tandem
and shocked our competition
. Since the bike's introduction, we've sold them steadily, but 2016 seems to be something special. We sold several just in the last few months.
Now you don't have to sacrifice weight to have the durability, comfort, and superior performance of a hand-built steel tandem.
A twist this year is that many of them are travel versions using S&S couplings. This adds 2.7 pounds of weight, but we've been busy shaving weight where we can and now have these incredible bikes down to a science in the travel version as well. I thought it was time for a highlight on one that's just coming through the assembly dept. now. This one is our Chorus version, and has some weighty additions, but still comes out incredibly light!
The Current Tandem at Hand
The Weight Break Down on this bike goes like this:
- Rodriguez Ultra-light Chorus Tandem Model (28.6 pounds)
- Rodriguez Travel Upgrade (+2.7 lbs)
- Cantilever brakes for extra wide tire clearance (+8 oz)
- Bodyfloat seat post for Stoker comfort (+8 oz)
- Option for disc drag brake (+5 oz)
- Spinergy Tandem Wheelset upgrade option (-5 oz)
Including the above list of weight additions, final weight on this bike is 32.5 lbs once the included lightweight custom steel stoker stem is installed. Our ultra-light tandem models come stock with a temporary adjustable stoker stem
that is heavier. Once the stoker's fit is completely dialed in, measurements are taken of the final preferred position and a lightweight steel (titanium in the case of the Record Tandem) fixed position stem is built to replace it.
Realize, when I quote weights, I'm quoting verified true digital scale weights that we will stand behind with a 'no bull' money back guarantee. This one clocked in at just 33lbs 4oz with the adjustable stem and the other options.
This Rodriguez Travel Tandem (Chorus model) is not only great looking, but only weighs 33lbs 4oz as pictured here with the fully adjustable stem and several comfort upgrades that add some weight. Subtract 3/4lbs when the included ultra-light stem replaces the adjustable.
The custom Rodriguez light steel tandem fork, with the choice of slightly heavier cantilever brakes for use with wide tires and fenders if desired.
Lightened couplers and braze-ons all around help to keep this flyweight tandem one of the lightest, best performing tandems available today. This customer also chose to add rear rack braze-ons for light touring. At Rodriguez, your bike is really 'your bike'. Just tell us what you want and we will make it happen!
View the full photo gallery for this bike here
If you or anyone you know, has been considering a high-end tandem, ultra-light or not, we ask you to consider a Rodriguez Custom Tandem
. We build every tandem by hand, custom for its owners. We've been doing it longer than anyone else too. Since 1973
we've been building our tandems right here in Seattle's University district. We'd love to be your tandem shop.
Current Wait Times:
Custom Bike - 6~8 weeks
Bike Repair - 1 week